When we combine it's like good food and wine

Guys, I have a serious and sincere question.

What's up with Common?

I'm not talkin' about the Gap adverts. I'm not talkin' about 'Smokin' Aces' (he wasn't bad there at all). I'm not even talkin' about the fact that his new record will be called 'Finding Forever'. I'm talking about his guest spot on Joss Stone's new record. That's this Joss Stone. The collaboration isn't terrible - I've nothing against Joss, unlike the NME - but it's so ordinary. I love Common, but this one sounds so "contractually obliged" that I just can't dig it. His records are welcomed because they're a nice relief from mainstream lightweight RnB, which is everything that 'Tell Me What We're Gonna Do Now' is.

In other news, did you hear his song 'A Dream' earlier this year? It was alright, nice rhymes and all, but it was produced by Will.I.Am and consequently had a strong Black Eyed Peas feel to it. That's current day BEP, as opposed to these guys. Check the video below.

Like I said with Manic Street Preachers the other day, it's not that it's bad, it's just ordinary, and we're used to more from Common, that's all. Hopefully 'Finding Forever', due in June, will be as good as we've come to expect.

[download Joss Stone - Tell Me What We're Gonna Do Now ft. Common]

0 comments:

Find It