Somewhere in a field in Hampshire

Today's the last day of Glastonbury, and reading all the coverage of the thick mud and Killers currently entertaining 175,000 people in south-west England, I'm reminded of my two visits to the world's biggest festival.

The first time I went was 1999. We'd just taken our GCSEs, my trivia team Bob the Zealot made it to the final on Steve Lamacq's Thin Quizzy segment, and everything was exciting. On the first day, the sun shone until Travis - not yet the huge band they'd soon become - played 'Why Does It Always Rain On Me?' and it began to piss down, and I got to see Pavement and dEUS, and, early in the day, Muse on the small stage. I thought they were rubbish that day. Look at them now. Saturday was Gomez, Super Furries - the incredible set where a tank drove through the crowd - and the Manics, and on Sunday I can't even remember who I saw, but it was amazing. Ozomatli were in there somewhere.

Sunday night, after all the bands were finished, my friend Nico and I were walking around the campsite because someone said the TV show Trap Door was playing somewhere. We never found the show (good thing Youtube is around) but we bumped into some joggers, a field full of teepees, the world's smallest disco, and a girl from Coventry whose name I can't remember, but she hung out with us til the sun came up and then ran off.

I guess what I'm saying is... I can't wait to go back. It's probably my favourite place in the world.

Here's a live download and a live video, only the latter of which is from Glastonbury '99. But dEUS did play that song, and it was ace. Also, I know it's not really in Hampshire, but I'm sure most of you get the picture.

[download dEUS - Sister Dew (live)]

Underworld, King of Snake:

0 comments:

Find It