And we will rise again

Sorry, it's been a while since I last wrote in here. But, you know, it's Spring Break! I'm home at my folks' place for a couple of days before going off to Chicago. What should I see when I'm there? Leave recommendations if you have 'em.

Anyway, being back at home means I get to look at the stack of CDs in my room, almost entirely from the years 2000 - 2002, when I got them for free thanks to writing The Brain Farm. A lot of the stuff is insignificant - an album from Gerling that doesn't have 'Death to the Apple Gerls' for instance - but there are some gems in there. Maybe I'll post something from The Regular Fries later (they have zero web presence, which is sad).

But yes, I found a couple of CD singles (a distant memory, those) from Asian Dub Foundation. Listen to a couple of stormin' live tracks from their album 'Rafi's Revenge', which wasn't as amazing as its follow up 'Community Music' (which earned a rare 10/10 review from the NME) but still is well worth a listen. The songs are both about struggle, a consistent theme with ADF. 'Naxalite' is about Bengali peasant uprising, and 'Free Satpal Ram', their signature song, is a long and powerful story, read about it here. Most importantly, though, both songs rock really hard.

Deeder, the rapper on these two albums, left the band in 2000, and for me they've been a less interesting band since then, but they've been playing to big crowds and getting plenty of acclaim, so good luck to 'em. There's a Greatest Hits due this summer which sees a mew track with Deeder, which should be ace. And there's a track with Chuck D! Look out for that.

[download Asian Dub Foundation - Free Satpal Ram (live)]
[download Asian Dub Foundation - Naxalite (live)]

0 comments:

Find It