There's no sentry at the gate

Best live band I didn't see this year: The Twilight Singers

Rockingest album of the year: The Twilight Singers - Powder Burns

As I said before, Florida isn't too hot for live music, and when Greg Dulli's inferno hit the state, it was on a Monday night, two hours away from where I live. Lame. But I'm still yet to read an account of the live experience that isn't entirely astounded. They throw in covers (this year: Gnarls, Primal Scream, Martina Topley-Bird, Massive Attack, TV On The Radio...), special guests, and all the energy and noise in the world. And Mark Lanegan joins them for a bunch of songs - the man with the world's most evil voice. A concert DVD is expected next year, it should be unmissable. Go to this page for a full show download from earlier this year, from whence today's download is taken.

As for the album... admittedly, it's produced to death and beyond, but I love that. It's another great driving record, and the first half, especially, is primo. 'Bonnie Brae' is pure noisy anthemics, 'My Time Has Come' and 'I'm Ready' are straight up rock and roll, there's a Beatles shout-out in 'Forty Dollars', and even a song named after a Gene Hackman film which is a quick and easy way to my heart. The album was recorded in New Orleans before, after, and even during Hurricane Katrina, so that packs it with even more importance, and it's one of my favourites of the year.



[download The Twilight Singers - There's Been An Accident (live in L.A.)]

0 comments:

Find It