Acting out your own death

Most unfairly maligned cover version: The Killers - Shadowplay

I mean, I can understand why the Killers are hated on by certain elements. Saying that your upcoming record is the greatest in twenty years, while being named Flowers, and seemingly modelling your look upon that of Manuel Almunia, it's pretty annoying. Especially when, as it turns out, 'Sam's Town' was, at best, a whole heap of okay. What's more, I love Joy Division, and can understand why they're seen as a sacred cow to many. But I still kinda feel like this cover was never given much of a chance. I think it's pretty good - not a simple identical copy of the original, with plenty of the Killers' best elements (big guitars, whoo's), and still keeps the original's sense of detachment and longing. It gets a resolutely uncool yet adamant thumbs up from me.

[download The Killers - Shadowplay]


[The Killers myspace / official site]
[Buy Control soundtrack UK / US]

2 comments:

Agi said...
on

Manuel Almunia, lol.

Are you an Arsenal fan?

Samir said...
on

yessir, through and through.

Find It