Jump into your grave and die

Enjoying music is not about numbers, and that's just as well, because I've probably listened to 'Alas I Cannot Swim' at least a trillion times, beginning to end, in the past two weeks. Laura Marling's debut album does everything for me. I can't really explain it. Her voice is instantly recognizable yet not quite placeable. The arrangements are terrific, with warm strings and other instruments coming and going when needed and not needed. The lyrics really get to me. Almost every song is great, but particular respeck to 'Ghosts' and 'Cross Your Fingers'. And 'Failure' and 'The Captain and Hourglass' and 'My Manic and I'. Basically, 'Alas I Cannot Swim' is a very simple album that really seeps in and I cannot get enough of at the moment. I just got out of bed, at 12.30am, while listening, because I couldn't not write about this album any longer.

All this, and I didn't even mention that she only just turned 18. Holy smoke.

Listen to the whole thing at Laura's site, or watch a live show below.

[download Laura Marling - Cross Your Fingers]
[download Laura Marling - Shine (live)] from last.fm





[Laura Marling - myspace / official site]

0 comments:

Find It