All my accounts will be settled

Ted Leo and the Pharmacists / Future of the Left
Gainesville Common Grounds
October 5th, 2008

Firstly, I should point out that this gig was headlined by local heroes Against Me! but I left after only a couple of their songs, so I don't really have anything to say about them. Nothing against them, pun absolutely intentional - they sounded ok, and the crowd were really into it - but I was very hungry, and had seen the bands I went for. Maybe another time.

Prior to their set, I managed to have a chat with Andy Falkous from Future of the Left after I bought their live CD 'Last Night I Saved Her From Vampires'. Among other things, he suggested that, since I was a fan of his former outfit Mclusky, they might stick an old classic in their set. "By a certain previous band... and I'm not talking about Whitesnake". What a nice man. Put him on stage, though, a million miles from home, and in front of a scant and disinterested crowd, and the mood shifts. As the band plows - nay, steamrollers - through songs from their ace album 'Curses' and some new ones, you could see him and Kelson seething. "I've had better reactions alone in my bedroom" he said at one point. They opened with 'Wrigley Scott', a tale of two people who enjoyed sausage on a stick, and straight into 'Plague of Onces', and then lots of others. Very bass heavy, atonal, screamed-out, and awesome. And my special treat? Only 'Lightsaber Cocksucking Blues'! Fanfuckingtastic to hear it again. Finished with 'Cloak the Dagger' and then stormed off. Don't know if they made any new fans - too abrasive? - but they still did the business as far as I'm concerned. They've made a brand new song available for download, check the link below.

The memo about rocking harder-than-hard evidently made its way to Ted Leo and the Pharmacists. No room for the more radio-friendly likes of singles 'Me and Mia' or 'Colleen' tonight. Opening with 'The Sons of Cain', Count Violence, Little Jimmy, Big Steve and the other guy (I always forget his name) played a set high on energy and crowd enthusiasm. Songs from 'Living with the Living' - there is no way that that album is 18 months old - still sound fresh, with 'Bomb.Repeat.Bomb' being the heaviest and 'Annunciation Day / Born on Christmas Day' the awesomest. Not too much chatter from the stage, although Ted bigged up the Civic Media Center, for whom this gig was a benefit. I wish they'd have played 'Paranoia (Never Enough)' from their new EP, but who am I to complain. Finished with a rousin', audience-participatin' take on 'Rappaport's Testament', a song originally by Chumbawamba. I don't think anybody was aware of that, though. All too short, so y'all best come back soon.

Just as a final thought - this gig housed the most tattoos I've ever seen in one place.

[download Future of the Left - The Hope that House Built]
[download Ted Leo and the Pharmacists - Rappaport's Testament: I Never Gave Up]



[Future of the Left official / myspace / buy 'Curses']
[Ted Leo official / myspace / buy 'Rapid Response EP']

0 comments:

Find It